This stuff is freaking delicious and so incredibly easy to make - you only need three ingredients and you can customise it to whatever flavour you want by changing the protein powder or meal replacement powder you use.. Not to mention SUPER cheap compared to commercial protein ice cream brands who make you shell out $7 per cup here in NZ. Whereas you can make this for $2.84 per 2 cups of Ice Cream (I did a few calculations).
I have gotten a lot of questions on Instagram (plus a lot of criticism) from people asking me about this recipe. When they see the ingredients and more importantly that - in my case- I use a meal replacement shake mix rather then protein powder and I chose the meal replacement route for a few reasons.. For one thing I know and trust this brand of shakes. I use the Healtheries Naturally Slim Powder in Cookies and Cream - which is available nationwide in New Zealand - as I discovered these shakes during my weight loss journey a few years back and they were a real life saver. They are also pretty reasonably priced being $27.99 for 18 servings with a lot of the time it being on sale for around $24.00. and really another main reason why I use this over a protein powder is the nutrients that are within the powder. With this shake you get for every 2 scoop serving (amounts to a regular protein powder scoop) there is 97 calories, 10g of protein, a good amount of carbs, calcium and a whole lot of vitamins and minerals which you would never get out of a protein powder.
Keep in mind I don't count macros or do any type of special diet so this isn't a problem for me, but if it is just use something that fits with whatever you need.
So onto the recipe...
- 1 scoop of any flavour Protein Powder (or anything else you want to use)
- 1 1/4c Milk (any type you want) - divided
- Sugar or Sweetener to taste
- Mix together your protein powder, sweetener and 1c of the milk together until everything is smooth and there are no lumps
- Pour mixture evenly into an ice cube tray (I even use a silicone mini muffin tray) and freeze the mixture completely.
When ready to eat:
- Put the frozen mix into the food processor with the remaining 1/4c milk and blend until you get a smooth ice cream consistency - will be more like soft serve
- Top with whatever toppings you want and enjoy